Who We Are
Basics is bringing together fresh ingredients, nutritious recipes and cooking classes under one roof to simplify shopping and promote good health. We’re a collective of farmers, entrepreneurs, culinary experts, nutritionists and natural foods veterans inspired to nurture health through food. Interested in our story and what we’re building? Read on and visit our website at: https://basicsmarket.com/
Eligible candidates are those individuals who enjoy building connections with the public and are interested in the local food economy, nutrition, and building on their established culinary experience. The position is focused on collaborative operations and production for market resale foods for the Basics market system. The Commissary Cook contributes to the mission of Basics market by planning, preparing and recipe testing while working directly with customers and staff for the service and cookery of seasonal food products.
Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Prepares products for Basics market customers, system wide or locations, based on seasonal menus and recipes.
- Stays informed of product schedules and reproduces product to specification.
- Helps the commissary operations manager onboard and orient new staff while assisting with training.
- Ensures compliance with respect to food safety, sanitation and cleanliness while maintaining clean and organized auxiliary and work areas, stations, equipment and surfaces.
- Maintains and ensures correct temperature for food ingredients throughout the processes of harvesting, receiving, cooking, holding, serving, and storing while completing required documentation of such.
- Works as a member of the Basics team to achieve market sales goals.
- Models and maintains customer service, code of conduct, policies, and standard operating procedures (SOPs) in the performance of assigned duties.
- Executes additional responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Completes required administrative duties in a timely fashion; HACCP controls, sanitation records time worked, accurately and according to Basics policy.
- Ability to interact successfully with the general public.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 2 years industry-related experience.
- Ability to distinguish and articulate differences or similarities in intensity and quality of flavors or aromas, and able to identify flavors or aromas through taste and smell.
- Ability to use hands to chop, whisk, slice, stir, juice and demonstrate cooking techniques.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Food Handlers Certification or must acquire within 30 days of hire.
- Ability to move about workspace settings, store facilities, general work place, and other assigned work areas that may be on or off Basics premises to prepare foods; assist Market Chef to coach and direct interns, externs or apprentices, staff, customers, students, volunteers, and participants.
- Must have working knowledge, skill, dexterity or means to such with scales, labeling, merchandise scanners or ability to master new equipment for the purpose of transacting with customers to accomplish work.
- Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Culinary Diplomas
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties performed are in prepared foods and grocery environment, which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, temperature extremes in controlled environments such as in the cooler, variation in kitchen temperature, and also outdoor exposure. Environmental conditions also include working with an open flame and cooking units, sharp surfaces, food processing equipment, food preparation, and allergen and chemical handling. This role may also be exposed to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers; also requires use of – and working in proximity to – common commercial cleaning agents. This position may be required to use knives, box cutters, slicer, scale, temp gun, cart, hand truck, dishwasher, pallet jack, computer, and office equipment. This position may also be working on or around moving machinery or moving parts. The noise level is usually moderate.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The duties of this role are at a heavy work level. While performing this job, the employee is continuously required to be on their feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout the shift. Sitting is seldom required and standing may be for up to 2-3 hours at a time. The employee is frequently required to grab, reach, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee is continuously required to lift up to 10 pounds, use arms, hands and wrists, grasp/squeeze; frequently required to lift 11-35 pounds, carry 10-20 pounds, push/pull up to 35 pounds, bend/stoop, twist, reach at/above shoulder, reach below shoulder; and occasionally required to carry 35-50 pounds, push/pull 35-80 pounds and crouch/squat. May also require frequent climbing of stairs and ladders, depending on the store location.